Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Dr. Akpo Onduku Pays A Glowing Tribute To Former lNC President, Late Prof. Kimse Okoko

Dr. Akpo Onduku Pays A Glowing Tribute To Former lNC President, Late Prof. Kimse Okoko


.... Narrates Three Defining Moments He Had with The Emeritus Professor


Late Prof. Kimse Okoko died at age 80 this past Sunday. He was an Emeritus Professor of Political Science with the University of Port Harcourt. Among other things, Professor Okoko served as Pro-Chancellor of University of Uyo and the Niger Delta University in Wilberforce Island, Amassoma, Bayelsa State, Nigeria.


My first special encounter with him was at the Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC), Warri, Nigeria. This should be around 1997. He was undertaking a sabbatical assignment while I was engaged on a postgraduate research on oil companies and community relations.  He was quick and willing to assist my research by directing me to appropriate data. I later concluded my research at the Nigeria Institute of International Affairs (NIIA) in Lagos.


My second special encounter was at his office in the Department of Political Science and Administration Studies, University of Port Harcourt. This should be around 1998. I had gone there to pick up a doctoral application form. Again, he was very helpful. After a tour of the faculty, I opted back to my alma mater, which was University of Benin, to enrol for international relations. 


My third special encounter was in his hotel room in New Jersey, USA in 2006 after a Niger Delta Summit. By this time, I was residing in Miami, Florida where I had completed a degree in International Human Rights Law after my doctorate in the United Kingdom. He was interested in my coming over to join the faculty of the Niger Delta University in Bayelsa State. He requested for my CV and next was a request from the Vice Chancellor, Professor Ikporukpo. This indicated that he had forwarded my CV to the Vice Chancellor for employment. This to me was a rare honour.  I had a choice of another university, a private university in Lagos acclaimed to be the best citadel of learning in the country. By this time, I had been contacted and interviewed by a Panel of the university including the Vice Chancellor, Professor A. Obayan, the Registrar, the Dean and the Head of the Department of International Studies of Covenant University in Ota, Lagos. We had agreed for a telephone interview since I was based in the United States and it was professionally conducted.  


So, when I finally considered jumping on the plane to Nigeria, it was quite a dilemma for me to consider Covenant University or Niger Delta University. I did get to meet Professor Ikporukpo in February 2008 at the Niger Delta University and the necessary applications were made. On that day, I remember meeting a friend, Professor Augustine Ikein of Delaware State University, USA in the VC’s office and we drove together in his hired car to Port Harcourt after our activities on the working day. Professor Ikein had published one of my articles as a chapter in his book ‘Oil, Democracy and the Promise of True Federalism in Nigeria’.


This was co-authored with D. S.P. Alamieyeseigha and Steve Azaiki in 2006.

Thank God for the pastoral calling that came top in my considerations.  In all, the late Professor Kimse Okoko was a good man. When I heard of his son’s death earlier this year, I was grieved. May God’s grace and peace abound onto the entire family in Jesus name.


Pastor Akpo Onduku, PhD.

Bradford, UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment